How To Buy Guide
LEARN ABOUT REFRIGERATION
When determining which refrigerator you should buy, follow the advice in this guide to decide which style, size and features might make the most sense for your household.
There isn't one standard refrigerator size. When shopping for a new fridge, you need to understand the space you have to work with.
After deciding where it will go, consider the following:
- Height restrictions
- Width restrictions
- Depth restrictions
- Swing space
- Path of delivery
Before getting too far into shopping for a fridge, measure the area where the fridge will be installed and consider the size that makes sense for your needs.
For more detailed information about measuring your kitchen, see our Ultimate Fridge Size Guide!
Some helpful reminders:
- Always follow your appliance use and care and installation instructions, as they are your primary source of information.
- The best advice is to always measure twice!
Types (Freestanding vs. Built In)
Freestanding fridges offer both standard and counter-depth options to meet your style and storage needs. They are typically easier to install and are generally more affordable than a built-in model. Typically, no custom cabinetry is required for free-standing refrigerators.
Most common configurations are:
Top Freezer, Bottom Freezer, Side-by-Side and French Door.
This is a popular choice for families in need of more fridge and/or freezer space. The fridge slightly protrudes from the counter. This style is considered to be a more cost effective option. Choose from a variety of options to find one that suits your needs!
This style gives the appearance of being built in, providing a sleek, seamless style ideal for modern kitchens - but often less costly than actual built-in models. This style allows for optimal traffic flow in the kitchen since the fridge doesn’t stick out. It also allows for doors to swing wide open without a cabinet or counter getting in the way.
Built In Fridges
Generally, built-In refrigerators are taller than standard models to make up for the space lost in depth. They also typically offer widths up to 48 inches (122 cm) to meet your storage needs. Come in a variety of styles like French Door, Bottom Freezers and Side-by-Side.
This style is commonly designed to more seamlessly integrate with your existing kitchen. It is often a costlier option because the fridge is built into cabinets which may require custom designed cabinetry and a professional to perform the installation.
It can either be a flush or non-flush install. In a flush installation, the front of the refrigerator sits flush or in line with the surrounding cabinetry. With a non-flush install, the doors will protrude slightly from the surrounding cabinetry or countertop.
Maytag does not offer built-in refrigerators
Once you have chosen a size and layout that will work for your kitchen, household and lifestyle, you should start thinking about style. The options listed all have a freezer but can differ based on where the freezer is located.
This is also another opportunity to choose a refrigerator that fits your taste and the current look of your kitchen.
Give thought to where you feel a freezer would be most conveniently placed on a fridge.
Top Freezer Refrigerators
- Freezer is located at the top of the fridge.
- Classic design and generally a lower price point.
- Reversible door option, with the ability to open from the left or right, depending on preference and flow of the kitchen.
- Typical total volume can range from 10-21 cubic feet.
- Usually available in 24" (61cm), 28” (71 cm) and 30" (76.2 cm) and 33" (82.8 cm) widths.
Bottom Freezer Refrigerators
- Freezer is located at the bottom of the fridge.
- Freezer door can swing open from either the left or right or be a pull out drawer style.
- Options for the fridge door to open from either the left or right based on your preference and flow of the kitchen.
- Keeps fresh food at eye level in the refrigerator compartment.
- Typically, a bottom freezer is larger than a top freezer and has tiered storage baskets. This can be useful if you store a lot of frozen foods.
- Usually 19-22 cubic feet of total volume with small space options at 12 cubic feet.
- Usually available in 24" (61cm) , 28” (71 cm) and 30" (76.2 cm) and 33"(82.8 cm) widths.
French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerators
- A typical French Door bottom freezer refrigerator has two doors (that open independently) to access the refrigerator compartment at the top with the freezer located below that pulls out.
- There are also 4-door and 5-door options available with easy-to-access external drawers. You can store snacks where you can reach them without opening the main doors.
- Designed to allow you to open only one side at a time. This ensures that the entire fridge compartment doesn’t cool down each time a door is opened.
- Models with two doors are narrower and therefore require less room to open, which can be helpful in a tighter kitchen space.
- French door fridges are considered a higher end choice because they usually have the most features.
- Pantry-like layout and specialized storage compartments help keep food more visible and accessible.
- Typically 20-28 cubic feet of total volume.
- Usually available in 30" (76.2 cm), 33" (83.8cm), 36" (91.4 cm) widths. Select widths also offer counter depth options.
Side by Side Refrigerators
- Two separate full-height compartments (freezer and fridge), each with its own door.
- Can offer more freezer space (great for families who buy more freezer items).
- Easily access freezer foods.
- Offer adjustable shelves and door bins to help keep everything organized.
- With each compartment’s smaller width capacity, it may be difficult to fit wide trays and platters.
- Typically 20-26 cubic feet of total volume.
- Usually available in 33" (83.8 cm) and 36" (91.4 cm) widths. Select widths also offer counter depth options.
Maytag does not offer side by side refrigerators
Now that you’ve decided on the size and style, it’s time to turn your attention to the finishing touches. What is your preferred finish for your refrigerator? Is matching to the rest of your appliances important? Do you want something that is easier to maintain? Answer these questions to determine your ideal finish!
Browse finishes and colour options to find the right fit for your taste and current kitchen design.
Options available for fingerprint resistant finishes, making it easy to clean and maintain.
Black Stainless Steel
Beautiful modern take on the traditional stainless steel design. Options available for fingerprint resistant finishes.
Not offered by Maytag
Not offered by Maytag
Not offered by Maytag
Panel Ready Built In
If you go with a panel ready built-in option, you can customize your refrigerator to match your kitchen panels / cabinet doors.
Maytag does not offer panel ready built-in refrigerators
Finally, you should factor in the number of features you want. Any additions, like having a water and ice dispenser, can influence the design/style and potentially the cost of a fridge.
Refrigerators offer a wide variety of features. You need to decide which are the most appealing and important to you.
Water and Ice Dispensing
There are both internal and external dispensing options. Internal dispensers are a better option for those who prefer a cleaner look on the exterior of their fridge. External dispensers allow for easy access without having to open the fridge.Both provide additional convenience of immediate ice cubes and water. Most fridges that offer water dispensing are equipped to also house a water filter to provide fresh, clean tasting water. Keep in mind that you may require a plumber to attach to the water line so factor in that extra cost.
Performance features help store your food at optimal temperature and humidity conditions:
Dual evaporators allow for more precise temperature controls, as two evaporators provide independent cooling solutions for the fridge and freezer.
Humidity controlled crispers create ideal fruit and vegetable environments.
Adjustable temperature drawers allow you to select a custom temperature based on what you're storing. Some drawers are even full-width pantry style to accommodate large platters/trays.
Select Maytag® French door refrigerators have a temperature-controlled Wide-N-Fresh™ deli drawer that provides the perfect place to keep deli items so they stay fresh longer.
Select Maytag® refrigerators also feature the PowerCold® Button, where cold air is filtered from the freezer to quickly drop refrigerator temperatures.
Organization features can help keep your foods and beverages visible and readily accessible:
Adjustable Shelving/Bins provide flexibility when storing items of varying heights like jars of sauces, juice containers, party platters or milk cartons.
Large Gallon Door Bins offer a deeper door bin to allow for larger items like milk jugs, juice cartons and condiment jars.
Tiered shelving inside the freezer may improve the storing and retrieval of frozen food items.
Helps you easily find food inside your fridge and provides a white light so food looks as it should. It also uses less energy than incandescent bulbs.
Smart / Wifi Connectivity
Some smart fridges can connect with your WiFi and your smart devices, giving you options to troubleshoot issues, get notifications and control smart features right from your phone.
We hope that completing these recommended steps has helped lead you to making a decision on what fridge to buy.
Ready to start looking for a new refrigerator? Our Appliance Finder tool can help narrow your search so you can find the one that meets your needs. Click here to find a fridge that’s right for you.
Get more KITCHEN tips and tricks in these articles from Maytag:
What Is a Counter Depth Fridge A counter depth refrigerator fits flush with your cabinets. If you’ve seen this description and wondered what does counter depth mean, Maytag can clear it up.
How Does a Refrigerator Work? Learn about the cooling cycle that drives how a refrigerator works to keep food fresh.
Standard Refrigerator Dimensions Explained How to take refrigerator space measurements and determine the dimensions you need. Use the fridge sizes guide from Maytag to get a better sense of what will fit in your kitchen.